Last Updated on April 7, 2021
Are you looking for a new way to make money? Maybe you want to do something fun. It may be time to learn how to start a drone business. It sounds crazy, but drone photography has become incredibly popular in the last few years and will only continue to grow.
If you love drones and photography, consider starting a drone photography business.
Steps to Start a Drone Business
Follow these simple steps to learn how to start a drone business:
- Know the local regulations – Do your research. Some areas have stricter regulations regarding unmanned aerial vehicles than others. For example, in the US, you must pass the FAA Part-107 exam, plus there may be local regulations too.
- Narrow down your niche – What industry do you want to serve? Look for underserved niches (unlike real estate which is very crowded) to make the most money when you start your own drone business.
- Budget for equipment – Equipment can get costly. Make sure you have the money to cover not only the initial purchase but also the maintenance and repairs.
- Determine your prices – Do some industry research. What do others in your area charge? What services can you add or what value can you provide to charge more or should you charge less and get the customers?
- Showcase your work – Once you have everything in place, it’s time to market your business. You’ll need a portfolio to show potential clients what you can do. Pictures speak louder than words in this case.
- Market your business – Like any business, you need to get the word out. Create a website, get on social media, and talk about your business as much as possible.
ProTip – The most important part of starting a business is actually taking action! Don’t just plan and read about how to do it endlessly–take measurable, positive steps towards getting your business up and running every day.
Don’t fall into the trap of talking, thinking, and planning the business while never risking a failure. More on this here: “Why I can’t accomplish anything”
Drone Business Startup Costs
Learning how to start a drone business means buying equipment, which can cost as little as $1,000 or as much as $20,000. It depends on the functions and quality you want. If you’re servicing high-end clients, you’ll need high-quality equipment. If you’re figuring out your niche and just doing general drone photography work, a smaller investment may be smarter.
Don’t forget about the other costs involved. Proper storage, batteries, and software play an integral role in your drone startup costs. You’ll also need liability insurance and potentially warranties on the equipment.
Look around, find the best prices, know the quality of the equipment, and start small. You don’t have to invest a ton of money at once – what if it doesn’t work? Scale your business slowly, buying new equipment and accessories as you grow.
How Lucrative is a Drone Business?
You can do a lot with a drone business if you do your research. Just like the real estate industry or mortgage business, there is constantly updated information and training you can undergo. With the right training, whether operating the drone or taking photographs, you can provide value-added services that other services don’t provide.
If you take it seriously, put in the time for training, and learn about the equipment and the possibilities as you scale, a drone business can be a lucrative and fun way to earn a living.
(i) The national average cost for aerial photography on thumbtack is $250–$350. The price can vary based on the length of the photography shoot, resolution, and services performed.
Are you ready to learn how to start a drone business? It can be a lot of fun and make you money too. It’s a great way to provide a high-level service that other entrepreneurs may not have considered. It takes some capital and a lot of education, but it can turn into a highly scaled business that provides you with incredible income.